Rebecca Contest Information
Sponsored by the Land of Enchantment Romance Authors
of Romance Writers of America®
• May 1, 2016 – Open for submissions.
• July 31, 2016 – Deadline for submissions.
• September 10, 2016 – Finalists notified by e-mail on or before this date. Finalists will be posted on the LERA Website.
• October 8, 2016 – Winners announced at the LERA Conference and notified by e-mail.
CATEGORIES (in accordance with RWA guidelines):
Manuscripts that are set from 1950 to the present that focus primarily on the romantic relationship. Judging guidelines: In this category, the love story is the main focus of the manuscript, and the resolution of the romance is emotionally satisfying and optimistic.
Final Judge: Editor, Tahra Seplowin, Harlequin
Paranormal/Speculative Fiction/Urban Fantasy Romance
Manuscripts in which the future, a fantasy world, or paranormal elements are an integral part of the plot. Judging guidelines: In this category, the love story is the main focus of the manuscript; a futuristic, fantasy, or paranormal element is blended with the love story; and the resolution of the romance is emotionally satisfying and optimistic.
Final Judge: Agent, Tricia Skinner, Fuse Literary
Any manuscript where the mystery/suspense is the main plot; may contain elements of romance. These manuscripts may contain elements of other romance subgenres (such as paranormal, historical, etc.) Judging guidelines: In this category, the love story is the main focus of the manuscript, elements of suspense form a significant part of the love story, and the resolution of the romance is emotionally satisfying and optimistic.
Final Judge: Editor, Peter Senftleben, Kensington
Manuscripts in which young adult life is an integral part of the plot. Judging guidelines: In this category, the love story is the main focus of the manuscript, the element of being a young adult is blended with the love story, and the resolution of the romance is emotionally satisfying and optimistic.
Final Judge: Agent, Laura Bradford, Bradford Lit
1st Place: $25 gift certificate
Finalists will be posted on the LERA website and mentioned in published authors blogs.
All authors are welcome to enter, regardless of published or unpublished status. Contest entry may not be contracted or published in any form when entered.
Enter the opening five thousand (5,000) words of romance novels of the above sub-genres. Entries should include the title only and not the author’s name at any point in the document. Standard manuscript format of Times New Roman 12pt font is preferred. 5,000 words is determined by computer word count. The contest committee recommends that authors cut off text at the end of a complete sentence, even if that word count falls short of exactly 5,000. The excerpt should be provided in Microsoft Word or .rtf format.
- Entries may be neither contracted nor published in any format at time of entry.
- If a category must be dropped due to insufficient entries, contestants will be notified and allowed to either withdraw (with refund) or move the entry to another category.
- Entry must be received no later than July 31, 2016.
- Once a manuscript is accepted for entry in the contest, there will be no refund.
- When a category is full, contest entry can either be moved to another category by author or returned. If returned, entry fee will be refunded.
- Finalists will be the three top scoring entries in each category. LERA members will determine finalist status. The LERA review team will include at least one published author. The review team score sheets will be made available to the all authors to assist in feedback.
- Finalists will be announced on or about September 6, 2016.
- Winners will be determined by the final judges.
- Winners will be announced on the LERA webpage and at the LERA Conference, scheduled for October 8, 2015.
- Entry in the Rebecca Contest constitutes agreement by the author to conform to all contest rules, abide by the decision of the judges, and hold blameless the Land of Enchantment Romance Authors, The Rebecca Contest Coordinators and all judges. In entering, the author agrees to indemnify, defend, and hold harmless the Chapter, its officers, members and all judges of the Contest from liability for its/their actions arising from or relating to judging and handling of the entry and conducting, sponsoring and advertising the event.
- The Contest Committee reserves the right to disqualify any entry if rules are not fully met.
- Author must:
- Fill out the entry form linked below and pay the entry fee of $20 for LERA members, $25 for non-members, for each entry through PayPal.
- Email your paypal transaction number, including author’s name and each entry’s title to Contest@leranm.com. This is needed to confirm the paypal payment.
All entries will be acknowledged via e-mail within a week of being received.
ENTER HERE and good luck!!
For additional information, please contact:
Jeffe Kennedy, Contest Chair
More About The Rebecca