05/13/2017: Angela James
Learn to self-edit and polish your manuscript in this all-day workshop presented by a Carina Press Editorial Director, Angela James.
What you will learn:
Develop a checklist of techniques and processes for enhancing self-editing skills and polishing future manuscripts. Learn how to make the new knowledge a habit when writing future books. Learn the basics and the advanced techniques of:
- Dialogue and dialogue tags
- Whether all forms of “to be” are really evil (the answer is no)
- What is overwriting? How can you avoid it?
- Basic and advanced punctuation
- Passive voice vs active voice
- Point of view
- Pacing, including and editing trick to help you “fix” pacing
- What we mean by show not tell. And how to do that!
- Different types of editing and stages of editing
- What to look for in an editorial relationship
- What to look for and questions to ask when hiring a freelance editor
- Formalizing and finalizing your manuscript before you hit send (or press publish)
Please note: This will be an all day workshop. Free for LERA members. A $40.00 fee will be charged for non-members.
This is expected to be a full event so you MUST REGISTER prior to May 12th.
8:30am – doors open / check in
9:00am – Program Starts
12:30pm – 1:00pm – Lunch break
Lunch will be provided thanks to a few VERY generous LERA members. (Which Wich sandwhiches, salad, chips, desserts, etc. Please bring your own lunch if you have specific dietary needs not met by this menu.)
1:00pm – 5:00pm – Remainder of Presentation
Angela James, Editorial Director of Carina Press, Harlequin’s digital-first fiction imprint, is both an avid reader of digital books and a veteran of and advocate for the digital publishing industry. She has enjoyed over a decade of experience in her field, including successfully launching, building and serving as editorial lead for two digital-first presses, Samhain Publishing and, since 2009, Harlequin’s Carina Press.
She has edited bestselling authors such as Shannon Stacey, Jaci Burton, Lauren Dane, Ilona Andrews, Lilith Saintcrow, Shelly Laurenston and more. She was profiled in Fast Company magazine as a digital pioneer in the romance publishing industry and is the creator of the popular self-editing online workshop for authors, Before You Hit Send. In 2013, Angela was named New York Romance Writers of America’s Golden Apple Editor of the Year.
You can find Angela on Twitter at @angelajames.
More LERA Programs