LERA (Land of Enchantment Romance Authors) is the New Mexico Chapter of the Romance Writers of America. It was formed in January 1993 in Albuquerque, NM as a non-profit organization designed to support both published and aspiring writers of romantic fiction. Our goals are to promote craft excellence, to help writers establish careers, and to provide writers with continuing support and education. LERA’s membership includes writers of all levels, from those who have only recently decided to write a romance novel to New York Times Bestselling Authors with multi-book contracts in multiple genres. In 2012, LERA New Mexico members included a double Rita finalist, and two Golden Heart finalists!
LERA provides a variety of services to all levels of writers:
- The Main Programs at the monthly meetings provide expert speakers on the craft of writing, the business of writing, and research subjects
- LERA’s Tape and Information Library offers hundreds of taped workshops by expert speakers, including New York Times Bestselling authors.
- reference books and other how-to booklets make up the remainder of our library, and all are available for rent.
- LERA offers special events such as day-long workshops with visiting editors and agents.
- Support and networking are a mainstay of LERA. Our Yahoo group provides an opportunity for anyone to be an active part of the group no matter where they live. Romance Writers of America members who would like to try the LERA loop out for one month trial period may request it by contacting LERA.
To become a LERA member, you must:
- Complete our online application form
- Tender required membership dues ($25 per year due in January, $12.50 prorate for new members joining after July 1)
- Provide a current RWA membership number. (For information on joining Romance Writers of America, visit www.rwanational.com or contact their headquarters at 281-440-6885. LERA is a local chapter of RWA, so you must join RWA first.)
More About LERA